Powered By Blogger

Friday, May 14, 2010

One day at a time...

On Tuesday night Glenn slipped into a semi-comatose state. Hospice came over and his oxygen saturation was up and down between 30 and 70 depending on when he was breathing. He also was doing what is often called the "death rattle", this was the worst part of it all actually, it is a very loud and scary sound that I will not even try to explain-but I hope you never have to hear. He was blue and unresponsive. The nurse told me that he is in the active phase of dying and that he would not make it through the night- well Glenn never fits into any norm as you already should know and he did pull through the night. His breathing changed to another thing they call cycled breathing- this is when they breathe 4-5 quick breaths then don't breathe for 30-45 seconds. Then about 9 am he started to come in and out out of it and by last night he could drink and was able to have a some short conversations from time to time.
Last night was a different story, he started to "death rattle" again and woke him self up, then would not go back to sleep, so it was sit up, lay down, sit by me, help me stand, help me sit, talk to me, get me a drink- all things that are completely fine... but apparently this is called terminal anxiety- and I am thinking it is terminal to the one that did not sleep at all the night before and is now trying to care for the patient...:) At any rate he is up a bit and trying not to sleep so I am waiting for him to crash today eventually. This could go on for weeks they tell me, so we will just take it a day at a time.
I have to thank my family and friends who all showed up and took care of us through the night and the next day..my house is spotless (u people think I am a clean freak...u should see my sister in law Melissa) and my fridge is full of food. You guys are the best we are so blessed. Our friend Ian also came over and finished our landscaping and it is beautiful!!!
Just taking it one day at a time right now...

1 comment:

  1. My sweet friend -- my thoughts and prayers and with you, Glenn and your family. You are simply an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete